Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VOIPo server change?

Default VOIPo server change?

It would appear VOIPo is now selecting the server for all customers, including grandfathered BYOD'ers. I guess some of the obeisant whining got to them. I never had a reason to complain, especially since my device had a failover server option. The good side is they can now switch us off a downed server just like the provisioned users. At least that's how it appears, anyway.

Default Re: VOIPo server change?

We did remove the "selection option" in the control panel. It was just causing too many support issues.

Things like us moving users for specific reasons when something was going on and them then getting hostile about being moved "without permission" or users that may just have a bad connection to one that support would move off of it and they'd move it back, etc.

Overall it causes more issues than it should. We need to manage our network in the best way and since users don't have all the same info we have about things that are happening, there is almost a "power struggle" with users wanting things one way even if they know it could affect their service negatively (things like latency or know bad connections to certain ISPs, etc).

Grandfathered BYOD users can still use hostnames. The selector was always just for provisioned users.

We have a few other vPanel changes that I'll post about (including this one) a little later.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Thanks for clarifying Tim.

The reason I was wondering is because I have east set as the hostname in the ATA and vpanel-devices shows me on central.

I also see the DTMF and routing voice thru VOIPo server options are gone.
    https://secure.voipo.com/preferences/advanced

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

That kind of stinks. I liked having the flexibility to be able to change it myself vs having to email support. Boo!

While you may find it disappointing, I think the point Tim is trying to make here is that the ideal VoIP service will make the changes in the background without the customer's knowledge, resulting in always-optimal service, minimal downtime, etc. One of the common complaints about ViaTalk's service (at least 1-2years ago) was the 'which server is working best right now' game. When I had CallVantage, I never knew how many servers they ever had or if the server handling my 'line' ever changed--the address my device connected to was hidden in the 'administration portal', and there was never an option in the control panel to view or change it. Service was nearly flawless. IMO, this is a good move, and should be followed by removal of any reference to 'which' server one is connected to from the vPanel. After all, one should only need to know whether or not they are connected.

I agree with fisamo. I was with Viatalk when we would chase the best working server. I got tired of that rat race and switched to the calm world of CallVantage. With CallVantage all I had to do is pick up the phone and talk. It always worked and there was never a reason to consider which server I was connected to. Voipo will be a winner if they can replicate the "boring" CallVantage service.

True, it is impossible to load balance for optimal service if the loads are constantly changing via customer actions who don't know what the loads are. It is a good change, not a bad one.

Same indication as voipinit here.

Why is vPanel indicating "Connected To VOIPo Central" when my ATA is configured to east?
    Enjoy life, it's not a dress rehearsal.

I understand the idea behind it, but I liked having the flexibility if I needed it, that's all.