Thread: Is the $40 purchased ATA unlocked?

Default Is the $40 purchased ATA unlocked?

I asked this question to support and they told me it would be unlocked and able to be used on another service. I received my first ATA (the included free one) and it appears to be locked. Cannot even access the web interface. If I order more, will they also be locked?

I would like to order these for my customers from voipo so they will be automatically provisioned, but if they're locked I won't do it. I'm not going to invest in hardware that I can't use elsewhere if it becomes necessary.

If I do buy my own ATAs, is it possible to have them provisioned automatically by adding them to the hardware list, or will I have to do it manually or set up my own internal provisioning server?

Default Re: Is the $40 purchased ATA unlocked?

if you got a reseller account you can manually put voipo provisioned settings in there if they are supported by voipo like linksys and handytones.

just login to your reseller account and go to hardware tab and add new hardware and also make sure if you decide do you own ata's right down the mac addresses.
    Last edited by timreichhart; 07-21-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Yes I have a reseller account. I run an ISP and would like to use this to offer home phone service to my customers.

Right now I have the voipo-supplied Linksys RT31P2 and two HT286 which I purchased. I configured the HT286 through their web interface, just adding the sip server and credentials, and they work fine so far with all the rest of the default settings. I am concerned that if voipo changes some setting, they may stop working since voipo can't push updates to them.

I have not added them as hardware in my account. Should I?

I would not be concerned at all I dont think voipo makes any changes it from what I understand is that the sip account stuff its allowing you to connect to there services. You are in control of everything on your side of it. Say if there is a outage on your side its your problem but if there is a outage on voipo side they will take care of it.

Probably
    User: admin
    Pass: voipo

reseller@voipo.com could likely tell you its password.
    I'm surprised you got an unsupported version of ATA?

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    I'm surprised you got an unsupported version of ATA?
    I think he got the 286's somewhere else. We don't sell those.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by cfabe View Post
    Yes I have a reseller account. I run an ISP and would like to use this to offer home phone service to my customers.

Right now I have the voipo-supplied Linksys RT31P2 and two HT286 which I purchased. I configured the HT286 through their web interface, just adding the sip server and credentials, and they work fine so far with all the rest of the default settings. I am concerned that if voipo changes some setting, they may stop working since voipo can't push updates to them.

I have not added them as hardware in my account. Should I?
    I don't anticipate there being any changes made that would cause any issues. We know a lot of people are configuring things manually and keep that in mind.

Right now we don't support provisioning the 286 in the control panel, but we it's on our list for future.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by cfabe View Post
    I asked this question to support and they told me it would be unlocked and able to be used on another service. I received my first ATA (the included free one) and it appears to be locked. Cannot even access the web interface. If I order more, will they also be locked?
    Adapters provided free by VOIPo are locked since we do not charge for them and they remain VOIPo property and must be returned if service is cancelled.

As far as devices that you purchase from us, you're free to do anything you want with them.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Thanks for clearing that up Tim.

Do you have any timeframe that you expect to support provisioning of the HT286s? Right now they seem to be working great for what I need to do and are about $10 cheaper. Do you know of any issues using these with voipo reseller or any reason I'd want to go with the linksys units instead?

If I purchased linksys PAP2Ts elsewhere, could I have those provisioned by voipo by manually entering the MACs in my control panel, or is provisioning limited to units supplied by voipo?

We like the 286 devices. They're simple and stable. I don't expect that you'll have any issues with them. It does take a bit of work to integrate them into provisioning since they're single line and the other devices we offer are multiple lines, but it's something we expect to do in the future. No ETA though.

Yes, for the models we support provisioning on, you'd just add them in the control panel and set the provisioning URL in the device (the specific URL for the device will be listed in control panel).

Provisioning Supported Models:

Linksys PAP2T
    Linksys PAP2
    Linksys RT31P2
    Grandstream HT502
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com