Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Outbound Fax System (Beta -> BetaFAX)

VOIPoDanielC Guest

Cool New Outbound Fax System (Beta -> BetaFAX)

Hello,

We have recently launched a new outbound faxing system. The form looks nearly identical, however the backend of the system is very different.

It can be found in vPanel under Beta, then BetaFAX.

First, when you select the "from" number in the drop down box, you are selecting the number that will be displayed on the Caller ID of the modem call as well as the header of the fax.

Second, you will receive notifications of the fax disposition via email by default to the main billing email address. To change this, login to vPanel, then Update Information to change your email address.

To disable notifications for a fax, check the check box next to: "Disable notifications for this fax".

The fax server will send you notification regarding the status of the outbound fax by default. If the fax is delivered, it will send you an email. If it fails after 3 attempts, it will send you an email stating that it failed.

This is still "in the works" and is under development.

Some things already planned are:
    Enabling a permanent change of the notification email address.
    Allowing the user to select Blocked Caller ID on outbound fax (or at least select one of our outbound fax numbers to use instead of their own for privacy reasons).

The timezone is permanently stuck on UTC as the fax server relies on the timezone set on the server that it is running on. This will not be able to be changed.

The preferred format is PDF as it doesn't require any conversion on the server. It can accept images and .doc files. (None of the "new" .docx files will process properly.)

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Last edited by VOIPoDanielC; 08-31-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added "disable notifications"

Default Re: New Outbound Fax System (Beta -> BetaFAX)

It seems to send okay. I had to try a couple of times to get it to accept my PDF file (it kept telling me it was an "unsupported file type").

Is this just beta testing on residential accounts? I don't see a similar link in my Express vPanel (where I do all of my faxing).

Carl

VOIPoDanielC Guest

It was rolled out to Residential first.

Did you make any changes to the file to make it accept it or did it eventually accept the same file?

You should now see the BetaFAX on both Residential and Express accounts, thanks!
    ________
    Vaporizer shop
    Last edited by VOIPoBrandon; 03-21-2011 at 07:55 PM.

One file that was PDF it didn't accept at all. I just tried several PDF files I have that were generated using the same software. It took one of them!

Carl

It would be nice to be able to choose a "Sent From" number that is neither a VOIPo fax line nor a VOIPo primary line. I use K7.net for occasional inbound faxes, so I have a dedicated fax number. Although verification could be tricky, I suppose VOIPo could verify the number by faxing the verification code.

VOIPoDanielC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by engineercarl View Post
    One file that was PDF it didn't accept at all. I just tried several PDF files I have that were generated using the same software. It took one of them!

Carl
    If one of the failed files isn't confidential, could you email it to me at danielc@voipo.com?

I tried faxing a landscape PDF; it was cut off on the sides to fit portrait-wise, instead of being rotated.

VOIPoDanielC Guest

Hello,

It would get cut off as the fax protocol is mostly in portrait mode. Unfortunately, there is no way to correct this issue.

We would have to analyze the PDF and then determine to rotate it. It's best to just rotate it on your own before sending.

It would also be nice if the CallerID options were the same as those that are available for setting on the Residential account (e.g., main number, virtual numbers, or, I suppose, verified mobile numbers). Yeah, having a FAX sent with a mobile number's CID doesn't make much sense, but a virtual number would be good.