Thread: BYOD Users: Testing Michigan Datacenter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: BYOD Users: Testing Michigan Datacenter

Tim - any update on this?

Quote Originally Posted by racerdude View Post
    Tim - any update on this?
    The MI testing server has still been in place for BYOD/resellers (SIP7).

We've been exploring a few options for deploying some more servers for resellers/BYOD users to choose from. Honestly there there's not much difference in them unless someone just happens to have a bad route. We've hesitated on publicly doing this because then people get very set on being put on specific servers thinking they need to be on closest one or a small difference in ping times will make a difference vs looking at the alternative as an option if they have a significantly better connection to it.

We're still debating a little and looking at options, but we're considering either deploying a public/permanent node in a different centralized datacenter (like the Michigan one) or just adding additional servers on the east and west coasts with Softlayer (our primary datacenter in Dallas).
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Thanks Tim for the update. Hopefully you will be able to install some more servers around the country that will help us minimize latency on our calls. I have tried the Michigan server and noticed it added 5 extra hops (18 total) over the Texas server (13 total) and a small but detectable latency in my calls so I rarely use it. Just as a comparison, the Los Angeles voip.ms server is 11 hops and the ping is about 25ms better for me than the Texas server which is a noticeable difference.

It would be nice for BYOD/Resellers to have more options on the servers, perhaps having something in CA, WA and FL would cover more bases for you. Of course if you only do one I would vote for CA and I would be more than happy to test it out for you!