Thread: Motorola SBG6850 Modem/Router

Default Motorola SBG6850 Modem/Router

Hi,
    I have a Motorola SBG6850 modem/router. Is there a way to set the QOS to reserve bandwidth on the port/MAC/IP of my ATA? I have callers complain of my voice sounding "worbaly". Tech support suggested opening several ports, which they did via a remote connection of my desktop. Callers still complain. My internet speed is 15/1 MBS.

I seen the QOS settings on other routers, but couldn't find it on my Motorola. Perhaps they use different terminology? Any ideas for QOS or what else might help the voice quality?

Thanks!

Default Re: Motorola SBG6850 Modem/Router

I took a quick look at the user manual for the SBG6850 and it appears there is no QOS support for this model. Your only option would be to bridge the SBG6850 and attach/buy another router that supports QOS.

QOS is only needed if your 1 Mbs upload speed is being saturated somehow on your end and not coming from your ISP. I don't typically hear the term "warble" to describe this type of issue, but rather that they hear a "choppy" voice. Is there any other Internet usage going on during your calls? If so, try to stop or alleviate this usage and see if the issue goes away. QOS may be the answer if this is the case. Is the problem happening all the time or especially during the evening hours? If so, I would suspect an exhausted/saturated upload problem at your ISP. Try running http://www.pingtest.net shortly after these bad calls to see if you can confirm any packet loss, high pings or high jitter as the source of your problem. If so, you will have to complain to your ISP because having QOS on your end will do nothing to solve this issue.

Your going to have to experiment a little to get to the source of your problem.....

As a last resort, you may wish to request from Voipo support that they set your ATA to use a lower bandwidth codec other than 711u as the preferred codec.

Default Re: Motorola SBG6850 Modem/Router

Thanks for the reply. I just did the ping test and the result said my connection is very good for almost anything except extreme gaming. I don't have that many people I have extended conversions with. Mostly one friend, also on a VOIP connection, and a friend on an ATT cell phone complain. I'll continue to monitor and see if others complain. If needed, I'll request the different codec.
    Thanks!

PS, on another note, my call logs show about 5 calls blocked. What a GREAT (and important) feature!