Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to the PAP2T?

Default Re: What happened to the PAP2T?

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    Just to be sure, you did also create the same fixed IP on your ATA so the router will know where to look?

At the same time, I would suggest forwarding the UDP ports 5004-65000 to the ATA to the same fixed IP that you created there.

If you've done all this, ignore what I said..
    Thanks for the response. I haven't done these things. I can set the forwarding ports, but I can't access the ATA to change any settings there. When I type in it's URL, I get nothing. Is there a precise URL for it's web interface? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by webman2k View Post
    Thanks for the response. I haven't done these things. I can set the forwarding ports, but I can't access the ATA to change any settings there. When I type in it's URL, I get nothing. Is there a precise URL for it's web interface? Thanks!
    I haven't had one of those in a long time and my senior moment won't allow me to remember.

For sure, you can call support and if you can't do it yourself, they will do it for you...

When I type in it's URL, I get nothing. Is there a precise URL for it's web interface? Thanks!
    Log into your router and see what IP it is handing out to your ATA. Just type that IP into your browser. For example my ATA is at: http://192.168.1.7

The RT31P2 is both an ATA and a router. The webpage is only available from behind the router by default. Connect your computer directly to one of the ports on the RT31P2, check what your computer's gateway is, then enter that IP address in your web browser.

I can provide additional info if needed, just ask.

I've used BYOD Linksys PAP2 and PAP2T on this and other systems. They work great, but have the issue of TT talk-off. This is the generation of a touch-tone when triggered by a female voice. My wife's sister could be a Capt Crunch the way she would trip the talk-off. I switched to the Cisco SPA2102 an with the latest firmware does not have the talk-off problem. There is a selectable touch-tone delay in the config. The SPA2102 also has the built-in router, similar to the Ht502. That said, I keep the SPA2102 as a back-up and use a BYOD HT502 configured with VoIPo on port 1 and another provider on port 2. That was another lesson learned, don't put all your communication with one provider. In any case, the PAP2T is no longer supported with firmware upgrades and does not hold off on TT generation. I wouldn't use one.

My inquiry is based on all the posts here about the GS unit showing it's the latest and greatest. And was wondering why. I'm in the process of cutting the POTS cord. Mainly due to the fact that CenturyLink just took over and everything has gone to POTs. Punt intended. I'm also looking to change DSL providers as well as dump several POTS lines. And I whole heartedly agree about not putting all comms with one provider. As per my past experiences and that in the grand scheme of things the industry is still in its infancy.

That is the basis of my inquiry here about the gear. If I am going to make this move, it needs to be solid and I want he best gear to circumvent issues that I have had that were listed here that it looks like the Grandstream takes care of. And if it does trans bridge, that's another plus in putting it at the head of the stream. Leaving it in a position that should leave it "impervious" to the "issues" I have had that has been keeping me from making the final move.

Plus I have not had good luck in my many years in trying to use Linksys gear. Left a bit of a "bad taste". More so since Cisco bought them as an "entry" level product line and have kept them that way. I might have to seriously check into the GS. I can not afford the issues I have had. Especially since it'll be my only connection. And if it works as I hope, my only connection to be installed at many locations serving many people. Although, it goes against putting too many eggs in one basket. And if what you say about the PAP no longer supported, that would make other sense as to why HT502's are going out.

We'll see. Thanks.

I have the GS...PAP2T...SPA2102..and who knows what else.

Even though I can go in have done my own programming, etc., I have chosen to let VOIPo do the configuration on-line by them.
    Even though it goes against my basic nature, letting them control it has been flawless for me.

For some time now I have been using the GS502 and hope I'm not jinxing it by saying so, the service for me is as good as it gets...

I sometimes connect the PAP2 and this also works well...and my SPA2102 is a gem.

I use a separate router as I have never found a combined ATA/router or Modem/router combo to work very well. Just my experience. I will only put my ATA or modems behind my router and with port forwarding, I have smooth sailing.

Insofar as your desire to have unfailing service in the VOIP world, I don't think it exists. We are tied to the quality of our ISPs as well as the rest of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    I have the GS...PAP2T...SPA2102..and who knows what else.

Even though I can go in have done my own programming, etc., I have chosen to let VOIPo do the configuration on-line by them.
    Even though it goes against my basic nature, letting them control it has been flawless for me.

For some time now I have been using the GS502 and hope I'm not jinxing it by saying so, the service for me is as good as it gets...

I sometimes connect the PAP2 and this also works well...and my SPA2102 is a gem.

I use a separate router as I have never found a combined ATA/router or Modem/router combo to work very well. Just my experience. I will only put my ATA or modems behind my router and with port forwarding, I have smooth sailing.

Insofar as your desire to have unfailing service in the VOIP world, I don't think it exists. We are tied to the quality of our ISPs as well as the rest of the internet.
    Thanks for the info. And I find it funny that you have your fear of "jinxing" your prosperity by talking about it. BUT I have had direct results to the negative jinx, each time I talk about it. That is why it has taken me so long to make a move. But I'm going to have to bite the bullet and jump. As far as "unfailing" service, I agree, it does not exist. But I am trying to get best from what I have. From what I have been through for trouble shooting with my PAP2T, the GS502 seems to put itself in the space that VoIPO seems to imply that is the best for service. This can not be done with a PAP2T. Although I have all the ports forwarded and the unit in the DMZ, which leaves it out the open, there still are issues. So, I my mind if one piece of gear doesn't do it, then move on to another. And the coincidental increased use of the 502 leads me to wonder.

I'm open to all variables. I just need to get the best out of this. Even if it means a new provider. Which I probably won't do, since they're all just about the same. VoIPO has a few less features than ones I have used in the past. So . . . . now back to wondering. Maybe taking the jump is what is will take. Sittin' on this barbed wire fence is pokin' holes in my . . . . pants.

". . . this is suppose to be torture, not therapy!!!"

– Minerva Mayflower, Hudson Hawk

I'm just sittin' on the Beach makin' sure each grain of sand is in its proper place.