Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the PAP2T?

Default What happened to the PAP2T?

I have been glancing through here and see that all the talk is about Grandstream ATA's. What happened to the Linksys PAP2T that was the main ATA?

". . . this is suppose to be torture, not therapy!!!"

– Minerva Mayflower, Hudson Hawk

I'm just sittin' on the Beach makin' sure each grain of sand is in its proper place.

Default Re: What happened to the PAP2T?

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post
    I have been glancing through here and see that all the talk is about Grandstream ATA's. What happened to the Linksys PAP2T that was the main ATA?
    We haven't purchased them in a very long time and have been primarily shipping Grandstreams.

There is nothing wrong with the Linksys devices, but we started buying exclusively Grandstream for two reasons.

1) Financial - Linksys priced themselves right out of the market and they devices such as the PAP2 are priced so high that it don't make sense from a financial standpoint for budget providers to purchase them. Once Cisco took over, they stopped discounting except at extremely high quantities (tens of thousands of units per purchase). Grandstream prices their devices appropriately.

2) Router - Grandstream HT502s offer a built in router. 99.99999999999999% of all problems that customers experience are caused by customer routers. Assuming the customer doesn't have a modem/router combo unit, having a device that can be connected directly to their modem and therefore bypassing the customer router entirely drastically cuts down on service issues and simples support. There's also a segment of customers that doesn't have a router and only has a single port available on their modem so they have no where to plug in the device normally, but with the HT502 the built in router is there to solve the issue.

Again, the PAP2s have no issues...the Grandstream devices just make more sense for the above reasons. We still have thousands of PAP2s out and ship them right by out when they come in from cancellations.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I just subscribed to VOIPo and am glad I received a HT502. All the ports on my router are full and the dual Ethernet ports on the HT502 allowed me to easily install it in bridge mode. With the PAP2 it looks like I would have had to buy another switch to make room for it. Why would I want a PAP2?

Ok, what about the RT31P2 that I received a year ago? I'm guessing that there are far less of those floating around than either the PAP2 and the HT502.
    Last edited by LoadStar; 09-06-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
    Ok, what about the RT31P2 that I received a year ago? I'm guessing that there are far less of those floating around than either the PAP2 and the HT502.
    I'd estimate we have at least 3,000 RTs floating around.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I started out with a PAP2T for about a year or so with Voipo but when the 2nd line port died and was replaced with the Grandstream HT502 my service reliability went way up. My PAP2T would reboot in the middle of calls causing the call to drop, some calls would go directly to voicemail without ringing and a lot of times the call would drop after attempting to pick them up while ringing..

The HT502 has been rock solid and I've had zero issues with dropped calls or any other problems since I received it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
    I like the Linksys RT31P2. It seems to work fine and the matching legs of my Linksys WRT54G router fit nicely on top of the RT31P2.

Having been a part of VoipO since it's Alpha testing days, I've gone through quite a few adapters. Including some of my own. I remember having a grandstream at one time, during beta, but it had an issue. That's when we went to the PAP2. The issues were resolved and the grandstream is good again. I'm still using the PAP2. I was using my RT31P2 for a while because I was moving things around and wanted to gut my system. But I'm back to the PAP2. I do also have SIPDROID running on my Android phone. Works really well when I'm in an area with no cell coverage but I have WIFI.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    I'd estimate we have at least 3,000 RTs floating around.
    Tim,

I'm a new customer and just received the Linksys RT31P2. I've had a few dropped calls in the few days it's been on. Sometimes right in the middle of a call, and sometimes when I pick up incoming calls. I'm wondering if the grandstream (based on feedback I see here) would make a difference.

Now, I do have it added to my existing router, and I see how that could potentially cause issues, but I'd like to keep it that way, and I'm wondering if the grandstream handles this type of connection better. I have an Apple Airport Extreme router, giving a static IP to the ATA. Other than that I just plugged it in. Does anyone have suggestions on how best to set this up, if there's something else I can do?

Sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place.

Just to be sure, you did also create the same fixed IP on your ATA so the router will know where to look?

At the same time, I would suggest forwarding the UDP ports 5004-65000 to the ATA to the same fixed IP that you created there.

If you've done all this, ignore what I said..