Thread: Dependable

Default Dependable

Hi, I am new to this forum, and to using VOIP equipment. I very recently just discovered this type of phone usage, and find that it is very interesting to say the least. I have tried using a VOIP service from another provider, Magic Jack. The experience has not been the best. They basically do not have customer service, and if something breaks, which it did, you are on your own, just after two months.
    On the other hand, using VOIP has peaked my interest. I am among many others that are sick and tired of paying companies like AT&T huge amounts of money per month, which seems to never be enough, so the cost continues to escalate.

My question is, is the device that VOIPo uses, dependable, and does it have any type of a warranty? Can I count on it being there when I need it, and if a problem does arise, can their customer service counted on to help out?

Thank you.

Default Re: Dependable

I can vouch for the support and dependability provided by VOIPo. I've been using their service for 10 months, and it's been solid. When I first signed up, there was an issue where my ata device would all the sudden stop receiving incoming calls. There support was very helpful, and in the end I actually discovered that VOIPo wasn't responsible at all. It was my home's wiring causing the problem. I hadn't disconnected the city run phone line from my punch block so that and VOIPo were conflicting, even though I didn't have an active land line. Once I disconnected the outside line, everything worked fine, and there hasn't been a problem since. The service is solid, and I have never had it go down for me.

Because I have been so pleased, I just hopped on the VOIPo Black Friday 2 year renewal. Can't beat it for what you get.

Sounds pretty good. But, after the promotion is over, and start paying full price, plus the taxes, the cost is going to be REAL close to $20.00 a month, and that really is not that cheap. And like any other company, I am pretty confident that the cost will continue to creep up. It is a shame that Magic Jack is so funky, $20.00 a year is cheap.

I've been with VOIPO for about 5 months now. I did have some issues in the beginning, but tech support was very responsive and, since then, I've had no real issues with service nor reliability. The ATA provided has been solid. With any VOIP service, you are obviously at the mercy of your ISP, and the Internet in general, so you can always have issues with connectivity, routing, etc. Having been with Magic Jack, you already know this. That's just the nature of the beast. I suspect that that should all continue to improve over time.

$185 for 2 years is an insanely low price to pay for (virtually) unlimited service plus all the features and configuability provided through VPanel.

After 5 months, I felt comfortable enough to take advantage of the "Black Friday" promotion, so I have no phone bill until 2015. That's a good feeling.

Although they don't promise that promotion every year, it seems to have gone on for a t least the past 2 years. Hopefully it will continue in some fashion.

It's nice that it's offered. It's refreshing to see a company offer the "intro" rate to existing customers, as it's a win for everyone.

Another interesting thing about VOIPo is that the CEO is active on the forum. He jumps in and gets involved when necessary. It's also nice to know that he is reading what the user community is writing. That can only help make the product better as well.

Along with Tim, are many other people active on the forums willing to help or field questions. Chances are, if you are encoutering something or have a general question, someone has the answer.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by markbet View Post
    Sounds pretty good. But, after the promotion is over, and start paying full price, plus the taxes, the cost is going to be REAL close to $20.00 a month, and that really is not that cheap. And like any other company, I am pretty confident that the cost will continue to creep up. It is a shame that Magic Jack is so funky, $20.00 a year is cheap.
    About the cost; first, remember that the promotion provides two years of service -- that's four times as long as most other promotions, such as Comcast's six months. But also, the cost - promotion or otherwise - includes taxes and fees. When I left Comcast I was paying over $20 a month per line plus taxes, fees, E911 surcharge, and so on. VOIPo works out to about $9 with better features and NO extra fees; it's all included.

Sure, the user interface is kludgey (Tim, the CEO, keeps promising it will get better). Sure support is limited because we're not paying for a 24 hour off-shore call center of contract employees with no vested interest in the company. But, hey, when I did the math for two lines, I'm actually paying 1/4 of what I paid Comcast. And while VOIPo may increase in time, so will everyone else.

About the price - keep in mind that every year for black friday Voipo has offered the 2 year extension for the 1 year price. I've been a member since 1/14/2009, and after doing the math just now, I've been paying an average of $10.40/month.

Dependability and customer service have been really great too. I have referred a couple of people to Voipo as well and they have had no problems either.

Seems like most are dependent on the promotion, or counting on it continuing. At the promotional price, the cost is a pretty good deal, and should signal the company that around $10.00 a month for this type of service is about right. But, if the promotion ends, and the price is around $20.00 per month, that would definitely not be worth that much money, for me anyway. My Magic Jack has not died yet, close, but not dead yet, so I will continue to watch Voipo with interest in seeing how things are handled down the road on the price and watching the reviews on this forum and on other websites.

I've only been with VOIPo for almost 3 months. The first month was great with no problems at all. The second month was just the opposite. But I think things are fixed for now. I did not jump on the promotional pricing this year because I wasn't sure about the service. I didn't want to be stuck paying for 2 years of service if I was going to continue having problems. As of now if things get bad again I can just quit since I am month to month. But if my service continues to be great like it is now, and they offer the special pricing next year, I will jump on it for 2 years. The problems with my service that I was having at the time of the promotion was my only reason for not taking advantage of the promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by markbet View Post
    Seems like most are dependent on the promotion, or counting on it continuing. At the promotional price, the cost is a pretty good deal, and should signal the company that around $10.00 a month for this type of service is about right. But, if the promotion ends, and the price is around $20.00 per month, that would definitely not be worth that much money, for me anyway. My Magic Jack has not died yet, close, but not dead yet, so I will continue to watch Voipo with interest in seeing how things are handled down the road on the price and watching the reviews on this forum and on other websites.
    So lock in for 2 years, and if they don't renew the promotion, you're more than welcome to go back to magic jack. It seems win-win to me, no?