Thread: Different simulring for virtual number

Default Different simulring for virtual number

I've added a virtual number. Idea was for that to be "my" number that I give out to people. I wanted to have it simul-ring my cell phone. I also wanted to be able to forward it directly to my cell in case I'm expecting calls late at night and don't want to wake the family.

Seems like I can't define separate behaviors on the virtual line. I thought I might be able to do it with the "2nd" option in Beta, but that moves all inbound calls to the 2nd port, which is not what I want. And, I can't "forward" the calls to the main line because virtual numbers can't be forwarded.

The way it's structured takes a lot of value away from virtual numbers. What's the point if acts just like the main line? I can do everything I need to with a Google Voice number, but I'd rather just pay you (voipo) and not have yet another phone provider involved.

Default Re: Different simulring for virtual number

Virtual numbers can't be forwarded independently from the primary line. To do this, you'd need to convert the virtual number to a full line. Sorry!

Here's why...

We offer virtual numbers at a discounted rate (vs a full line) so they don't have the same functionality as a full-line.

With Sim Ring, forwarding, etc it doubles the cost of providing service because when something is forwarded it's an incoming call + an outgoing call that we pay for for the entire length of a forwarded call. Unfortunately that's not something we can absorb at the virtual number pricing. If we allowed this, there's also a lot of potential for abuse since people would simply order a main line + a virtual number anytime they needed 2 lines and that's not what VNs are intended for.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 11-24-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

That was a very informative explanation.

[bquote] If we allowed this, there's also a lot of potential for abuse since people would simply order a main line + a virtual number anytime they needed 2 lines and that's not what VNs are intended for.[/bquote]Understood, but given that it's a virtual number, I would expect the primary line to become busy/unavailable when I receive a call on my virtual number, and vice versa. It really don't want or need two separate lines. I just want a more advanced way to use the features I have on my one line for the reasons stated above.

In fact, I think I could do almost everything I needed if I could just swap the roles of the primary and virtual numbers. Primary always simply rings the landline, virtual has routing features. So my plan already is capable of doing what I want, I just can't configure it.