Thread: The magic jack plus

Default The magic jack plus

Would like to hear opinions on what you all think about the new magic jack plus in regards to the future of your VoIP reseller profits. I've read many reviews on this magic jack plus, and many are saying it's a huge improvement over the original, now that it's a stand alone ATA. Voice quality has greatly improved. The initial cost is double the original, however, the yearly cost for unlimited calls is $30. That's only $2.50 per month for unlimited calls. How can we compete with that?

How does magic jack do it? We are charged .011 per minute for off network calls. That adds up fast, even with just 20 or 30 customers using only 2000 minutes per month. Magic jack plus users would pay $2.50 for 2000 minutes in a month. That same user would cost us $22. Is anyone worried that magic jack plus will cause resellers to go under?

Default Re: The magic jack plus

Magicjack has been around longer than VOIPo and we've still grown like crazy (quadrupled our customerbase this year alone) so I don't see it as a threat to us in terms of our direct service and I don't think resellers should either.

Unlimited plans are all based on averages. The VOIPo average is continuing to drop for our residential customers and is under 350 minutes per account now.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I'm not speaking of the original magicjack, which relied on your computer, and as a result, the quality. Rather, I'm speaking of the newer magicjack plus that does not require a computer, much like the traditional VoIP service provider. It's a stand alone ATA with power supply, and connects to the internet via the modem. It's also much smaller than any of the usual ATA's I've seen.

Reviews have stated that the new magicjack plus quality is much improved over the original one. I'm thinking that more and more people will flock over to the magicjack plus, not only because of price, but improved voice quality and features.

Quote Originally Posted by wingsohot View Post
    I'm not speaking of the original magicjack, which relied on your computer, and as a result, the quality. Rather, I'm speaking of the newer magicjack plus that does not require a computer, much like the traditional VoIP service provider. It's a stand alone ATA with power supply, and connects to the internet via the modem. It's also much smaller than any of the usual ATA's I've seen.

Reviews have stated that the new magicjack plus quality is much improved over the original one. I'm thinking that more and more people will flock over to the magicjack plus, not only because of price, but improved voice quality and features.
    I understand that you're talking about the new device, but it doesn't really change my opinion on it.

I don't consider Magicjack to be targeting the same customers as we do just like I don't consider Vonage to be targeting the same customers either.

The vast majority of people are still paying $40/mo for a landline. It's just a matter of figuring out how you want to position your company targeting wise and how you can solve problems for your target market. The market is wide open.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

A friend at work was talking to me about this yesterday. He's a Magicjack customer and I use VOIPo. He's thinking about upgrading to Magicjack Plus, but wanted to explore other options. In the end, we decided Magicjack was a good choice for him and VOIPo is the right choice for me. Bottom line, it's mostly a decision of cost, features, and support. I agree with Tim's thinking -- know what ballpark you are playing in, and then compete against companies in the same ballpark. He may lose customers to Magicjack Plus, but easily offset that with customers in my demographic who want what VOIPo offers at an unbeatable price point.

I think the main difference is define "Unlimmited". lol
    Some say unlimmited is not so unlimmited.

I would say look at all the extra features VOIPo has.
    Plus to me the point of the VOIPo accounts is to use a
    nice sip phone or PBX instead of a plain old phone.