Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outgoing FAX Compatilibility with VOIPO

Default Outgoing FAX Compatilibility with VOIPO

Have read all your forums on this.
    One from an admin says we have been using the fax over VOIP for years.
    Other says FAX dopesnt work over VOIP.
    What is the latest development?
    Free Incoming fax accounts are available on the web - But outgoing choice is very very limited.
    Can we use the 2nd clone line for Outgoing fax with conventional All-in-One printers? If there is a limitation - please update.
    thanks in advance.

Default Re: Outgoing FAX Compatilibility with VOIPO

My understanding of FAX over VOIP is that it is really hit-or-miss. Some people have it working while others can't. I tried using my old Faxmodem on my VOIPo line and couldn't get it to work. I tried changing the settings and even adding a backwards DSL filter to no avail.

VOIPo give you free outgoing fax on your vPanel. Works great for me. As you said there are some free incoming fax solutions on the 'Net or you can get a $36/year fax number from VOIPo that will forward incoming faxes to your email as .PDF files.

If you really need to use a "fax machine" for high volume work or whatever I suggest you keep a landline for that. Use VOIPo for your voice calls.

I just switched from Comcast and was set up originally with a phone line splitter for my fax machine(which is just an epson workForce 500). My first try to fax two documents worked perfectly(at least the message said they went through).

First off before I comment to much, I addressed this in a pre-sales area of the forum as well... But my point is I am a VoIPo reseller and chose VoIPo for many reasons to include with my business. You WILL ALWAYS run into faxing issues via the internet. ALWAYS. If you are trying to use an actual fax machine you have to mess around with the "bog" rate of send and slow it way down in order for it to work. Broadband sends information MUCH faster than copper lines. I copper line tops out at 48.8k if a single loop. Changing your settings on your machine can help you.

My best advice is to get an e-fax number from VoIPo attached to your current account and do straight e-faxing. My business doesnt use voipo efax, but I use a different solution, but i have tested voipo and it works just the same. The sending of e-fax's with PDF's out and in is so much more simplistic and the way things are going to go anyways.

Wish you the best of luck.

When I had Qwest VOIP I never had any trouble faxing from my AIO. Since switching to VOIPO I've never gotten the fax machine to work.

But my fax needs are light, no need for incoming, so I find the outgoing fax utility in Vpanel to actually be more convenient than using a fax machine.

When I had Vonage I was able to send and receive faxes from my computer, using Winfax, Windows Fax, whatever. Just print to fax, then the fax application takes over. Haven't been able to send faxes with vOipO, but I've been able to use the send-fax feature in vPanel. I think they are getting thru to the number i'm calling but I haven't heard comfirmation from them yet. I'm getting the email saying it was sent. That said, the pdf attachment in the email, didn't look right, for the microsoft word doc file that I sent. I simply converted this to a tif, and then the pdf that voipo sent me looked proper.

When dialing a fax machine, I listened in on my audio phone handset to try and hear what the problem was. Voipo or my fax program or my fax modem was sending a beep every second or so, which I though was odd. The fax machine I called answered, but it's noises didn't seem to synch up with the noises being produced by my fax modem. There is a fax terminology for this synchronization, but I forget what it is. Then, in addition to the chorus of noises, from the 2 fax devices, and the once per second beep being added, I heard another ring sound - like you hear when the number you call is ringing - as if the number I called was forwarding the call, dialing out to another phone. Doesn't make sense to me.

I don't have a second phone number that I can use to test whether I can recieve incoming faxes on my voipo number, with my computer fax application.
    Last edited by nomenclator; 10-27-2012 at 07:56 PM.

OK, today I tried turning off Error Correction on my modem, and the fax appeared to have gone through.

In Windows XP, I did Control Panel > phone and modem > modem tab > [modem highlighted] > Properties button > Advanced tab > Change Default Preferences button > data protocol dropdown box select “disabled.” Normally the protocol selected in this dropdown box would be "standard EC," I think that must stand for "standard Error Correction." If Error Correction is set to "disabled," in the next dropdown box, "compression," the value is automatically changed from "enabled" to "disabled;" you can confirm this by closing the window and re-opening it.

As I mentioned in my previous message, I noticed before that there is a beep heard during the call - but with EC disabled, the beep stops playing after the modems "align," synchronize. There is another word but I still can't remember it.

Note that whether EC can be left on or needs to be turned off may depend on the the kind of fax device or modem on the other end, or how it is configured.

Ill share this not to discourage but as information. http://www.soft-switch.org/foip.html

YMMV
    I Void Warranties.

Quite interesting..

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

When dealing with voip services it is hit or miss when it comes to transmission type devices, alarm panels,fax machines, etc. There is a big difference between digital and analog communication. To be safe dont use voip for these types of devices because it may be working now but when you really need it there may be a issue, damage, or loss. Companies know of the issues and some have found ways on their end to correct some of the issues to make it appear to work good one of those is vontage, but when their fix fails you will be back in the same boat as everyone else. Because of those companies correcting or managing the transmission people believe that voip can be used for these devices. If you read the manuals for the equipment including alarm panels the manufactures have updated their manuals to have clauses when using voip services.
    Alarm panels have a upgrade now to communicate internet, or cellular and there are fax to email services of which VOIPo offers.