Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Feature

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Travel Feature

I saw on a competitors page an added VOIP feature with a device called “Zippy Travel Adapter” that seems to be like the old USB Magic Jack (a USB phone device) with your home phone number. However; when your number is called, both the remote and home device ring. Could VOIPO support a similar set up. If not, maybe a feature to consider?
    Last edited by budmaster; 04-30-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: changed "you" to "your"

Default Re: Travel Feature

VOIPo already supports using a "softphone" with the SIP protocol. There are free SIP phone programs available for PCs and many smartphones. You would not need a separate adapter. When you are "online" with the SIP phone, both your home and remote phones would ring.
    Steve

That sounds too easy. Are configuration instructions for a SIP phone available in this forum or at VOIPO support page?

Site indicated:

To retrieve your BYOD/softphone credentials for your own equipment or software:
    1. Log in to your VPanel at "https://secure.voipo.com/
    2. Click the tab labeled "Features".
    3. Click on the "Preferences" link.
    4. Click on the "Softphone/BYOD" link.

Which I did. But all I see is a button to enable a soft phone.

Now I do see a SIP address under devices. Is this the only info I will need?

You will see a SIP server name, username (your phone number) and password. That is all you need.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    You will see a SIP server name, username (your phone number) and password. That is all you need.
    I see SIP server name after activating BYOD. Tried x-lite, worked perfectly. Bought wifi SIP phone, worked as well and definitely a better solution than the “Zippy Travel Adapter” . Thank you for steering me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by budmaster View Post
    Bought wifi SIP phone, worked as well and definitely a better solution than the “Zippy Travel Adapter” .
    Can you share what make/model you bought? I would be interested in playing around with this too when I travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_TV View Post
    Can you share what make/model you bought? I would be interested in playing around with this too when I travel.
    My Android (used mainly for wifi) works perfectly well for travel purposes (and even at home) in parallel with my ATA.
    Russell

Glad to hear it.
    Steve