Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sporadic Failover Calls in the past couple of months

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sporadic Failover Calls ongoing since 2015/2016

Hey guys,

Some of my customers have started experiencing sporadic failover calls in the past couple of months.

It is happening with new customers with new equipment, as well as with long time customers who had been working great (other than known outage events).

I've experienced unusual amount of failovers as well, despite having superfast internet, with hardly anything using it but my phones.

I'm going to try registering to the alternate data center, to see if that helps.

Just wanted to see if I'm the only one experiencing this, or if it might be a wider problem (indicating that the problem may be on Voipo's side).

Let me know if you've had more than usual failovers lately.

Thanks!
    Last edited by GreenLantern; 10-21-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Default Re: Sporadic Failover Calls in the past couple of months

I've been experiencing intermittent incoming calls going to VM instead of ringing on my side lately even though my ATA was online and registered. Seems to have just started recently and like you mentioned nothing has changed on my side. I've been using sip.voipwelcome and switched to sip-central01.voipwelcome over the weekend to see if that will make a difference but have had only a few incoming calls this week which worked ok, but not sure if this server is better or not yet since the issue is intermittent.

Which server are you using?

I spoke too soon.. just had an incoming call that didn't ring on my side and went to VM (I can see the call in the call history). The person calling redialed and the call came through on my side the second time. So it's happening for me on both sip and sip-central01 servers.

Racer, I agree that it doesn't seem to be server specific.

It's hard to determine what the cause is.

Some of my larger clients do thousands of calls per month, with no issues. So it doesn't seem to be a global issue.

I suspect it is some kind of port timeout issue on certain routers.

If you have an ATA or IP phone, be sure to change the registration timeout, aka server timeout, or whatever it is called in your device, to something other than the usual 3600 second default. It needs to be more like 300 seconds. That solves the random inbound call failure most of the time.

Setting up port forwarding also helps, if you haven't done that.

And make sure you don't have a double NAT (one router/firewall behind another router/firewall).

My problem, is that I've already done all the usual stuff... eliminated double nat, setup port forwarding, corrected server timeout, etc. But I still get some random failovers to voicemail on certain user accounts. These accounts are usually numbers that had some issue during porting in, so it just makes me wonder if there's some kind of provisioning issue going on with these new numbers, so it doesn't affect older accounts.

But it sounds like I'm the only one with this specific issue, so my guess is it must be pretty "user specific", such as some particular carrier glitch, or maybe just the router the end users have.

I'll be doing some remote sessions with these users, so maybe I'll spot something.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, my settings are good, I've been a long time customer (going on 6th year) with BYOD, first on PAP2T and now on SPA2102 and have not noticed this problem until the past few weeks. It sounds to me like we have the same issue, my failover setting is to go to VM which is exactly what is happening on sporadic incoming calls. Not sure if something changed on Voipo's side that would be causing this, but there is another thread here in the forums with 2 others having the same issue.

Racer, tech support did something today to one of my accounts. We're going to test and see if that resolves it.

One point of frustration is that they don't tell me what they did. They just reply with something like, "try it again now."

Would be nice to know what they are doing, so I can track it from my side, and help them identify similar issues more quickly in the future.

Anyway, I'll let you know if their changes work.

Ok, tech support's change didn't help.

However, I switched the customer over to the new Chicago server and everything started working much better right away.

Incidentally, I've noticed that most (but not all) of the clients having trouble are using Comcast Business Class for internet service.

In the past, I've had trouble between Comcast users and the Texas server. I moved a ton of clients over to the Michigan server (sip7) to resolve. I had started moving them back to Texas when Voipo announced they were dropping the Michigan server. I think some of these issues have now returned. So I'll likely have to start moving people away from the Texas server again.

That's interesting, I use TWC not Comcast and am still having the issue. I tried sip, sip7 and sip-central01 and have the problem on all of them, looks like I am intermittently losing registration since in Control Panel it sometimes shows "no devices connected" which is causing incoming calls to go to failover when this happens . I even tried setting the registration interval to 30 seconds and I noticed that sometimes I still lose registration before the 30 seconds is up. I know it sounds like a router issue, but I have keepalive on the ATA set to 15 secs and my udp timeouts on my router are 10 secs for unreplied and 300 for assured which has been working fine until recently. These settings also work fine with other providers, it's only with Voipo that I'm seeing the issue.

What is the dns name for the Chicago server so I can give that a try?

Yes, I should say most of the clients are using Comcast, Time Warner, Cox and Charter Cable. Most of those are using Comcast, but all are using some form of Cable, except for one client who has Verizon FiOS.

I have Comcast, and yesterday, one of my clients could not call me from her cell phone. She got various messages over a 30 minute period, before finally getting through.

I was using the north reseller server at the time, and no other issues that I was aware of.

I have a customer that has a Grandstream PBX and voipo set as one of the trunks. in the logs it has showed voipo has went down for a minute here and there. So i add a free callcentric line as a sip trunks so i can trouble shoot if only voipo goes down or both. That way i will know if both go down its has something to do with the internet and not voipo.