Thread: New Router Configuration

Default New Router Configuration

I just installed a new router, Linksys ACS1900. I put my Grand Stream on the DMZ as I did with my old router. But now I see an Application Layer Gateway setting. Do I want to use this setting? And do I still need to put the Grand Stream on the DMZ? I don't want to configure any port forwarding as many recommend.

Default Re: New Router Configuration

I recommend that you turn the SIP ALG off in the router. It causes more headaches that it solves. It was really designed for computer based voip type software issues getting through NAT and firewalls. Skype, softphones, etc. But if you're using the grandstream ATA, then your router doesn't even know that it's VOIP/SIP. It's just another IP address. So ALG could actually negatively affect it.

Now, having said that, I never suggest someone put their Analog Telephone Adapter (The grandstream) into the DMZ. Except for troubleshooting. Truth be told, it's probably not a big issue. As long as it works, go for it. But for people who prefer to protect and secure their home network, you don't want anything in the DMZ unless it's intended to be. I have no problems giving the ATA a static IP (Which you've already done), giving that IP the highest priority in my QOS settings, and disabling the SIP ALG. If you want, the ports used in VoipO are on this forum, you can simply port forward. But if you're OK with the DMZ, then that's fine.

But definitely turn off the SIP ALG. Mike.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    I recommend that you turn the SIP ALG off in the router. It causes more headaches that it solves. It was really designed for computer based voip type software issues getting through NAT and firewalls. Skype, softphones, etc. But if you're using the grandstream ATA, then your router doesn't even know that it's VOIP/SIP. It's just another IP address. So ALG could actually negatively affect it.

Now, having said that, I never suggest someone put their Analog Telephone Adapter (The grandstream) into the DMZ. Except for troubleshooting. Truth be told, it's probably not a big issue. As long as it works, go for it. But for people who prefer to protect and secure their home network, you don't want anything in the DMZ unless it's intended to be. I have no problems giving the ATA a static IP (Which you've already done), giving that IP the highest priority in my QOS settings, and disabling the SIP ALG. If you want, the ports used in VoipO are on this forum, you can simply port forward. But if you're OK with the DMZ, then that's fine.

But definitely turn off the SIP ALG. Mike.
    Thanks Mike. I never enabled SIP ALG and will proceed in the same manner based on your recommendation.

One question about putting the ATA on the DMZ, when I first joined VOIPO over 5 years agao, their recommended installation was the ATA connected between the WAN and the home router. Isn't this nearly the same as putting the ATA on the DMZ? Also, I did not want to port forward as VOIPO wanted such a vast range it was impeding on other applications.

Thanks again or your reply.

Chances are, the "WAN", was a DSL type of modem, which was also a router itself. Therefor, your ATA was actually behind a router. Many people do "Double NAT" (Use 2 routers) and don't always even know it. Many cable modems, tend to be just modems. Unless you get one that is also a router and wifi.

The thing is, the only way you can put an ATA between a true WAN modem (Meaning it doesn't have a router built in), is if the ATA is also a router. If it wasn't, then none of your home PC's could work on the internet, because they wouldn't have an IP address. See, what a router does, is bring 2 (or more) networks together. E.g. your home network and the your internet provider/internet. Your router normally takes the 1 IP address you get from your ISP, and using NAT, it makes a bunch of private IP addresses. All those 192.168.1.x types. That's how more than one device can be on the internet at the same time, even though you only have 1 IP address from your ISP.

So what you were reading about putting the ata between the WAN and the home router, was probably because that particular ATA also had a router built into it. If it didn't, your home network would not have worked. The normal is after your home router. Unless you have a combination DSL/Cable Modem/Router/WIFI and you don't have a separate router. Again, not uncommon. So, to answer your question, no, it was not in the DMZ being before your router, because the DSL/Cable (Modem/Router) provided NAT and was providing the ATA a 192.x.x.x type IP address.

All DMZ does, is open up ALL PORTS for an specific IP address. My setup, I don't do ANY port forwarding, and everything works perfectly fine. Then again, on my old router, (I usually buy a new router ever couple years because I'm a technogeek who likes new toys), that old router I did forward ports for the ATA. But the first thing I do is try no port forwarding, no dmz, and SIP ALG, and see how it works. My current modem was designed specifically for gaming/voip and many QOS priority type applications. So maybe that's why I do so well without anything forwarded or DMZ.

For what it's worth, I have one of the original ATA (Linksys PAP2) that I got from VoipO in like 2007 or 2008. But, I also have an IP PHONE, that doesn't use an ATA and is plugged straight into my network switch just like it was a PC. I also have a softphone app on my android cell phone and a software softphone on my laptop. I go on the road a lot, and some places actually have internet with almost no cell service. I use the app and softphone to call my wife. The IP phone on my network..... well, that's just another toy. Plus, if the ATA was to ever break, I'd still have at least one good working phone. Take care..... Mike.....
    Mike

P.S. I forgot to mention; some ATA's also have a built in router. Therefor, in that case, it is totally feasible to put that type of ata directly after the DSL or cable modem (WAN) and put your network router after it. You still have a double NAT situation, but that is something you can work around. If all you have are PC's and other basic network equipment, it's not a big problem. Double NAT can be an issue for servers, voip, and a few other things.

Bottom line; I prefer to put the ATA after the network router. I prefer to port forward IF NECESSARY. You don't know if it's necessary until you try. It depends on the router and service you have. My last router, I had to do port forwarding. The new router I have now, I don't have to forward anything.
    Mike

if you have any type of high speed internet over 50 Mbps, i would not put your ATA on the WAN, it will choke your bandwidth down to nothing.

As for port forward i use these settings for my 6 line voip phone: 9060-9078 & 11001-12000 UDP. if the 9060-9078 don't work for you for SIP then just use 5060-5061. My accounts are reseller accounts, so yours might not be open to use the 9060 + ports.

Chevy; curious about something. When you say "6 Line Voip Phone", do you mean 6 separate voip numbers? And are all 6 all behind a NAT router or do they all have individual static Public IP addresses?

Also, have you tried 2 or more devices; either ATA's or IP phones, or a mixture of the two, on the same phone number account behind a NAT? I know some who have no problem with their home ATA on their home network, and a softphone or APP on their laptop or smartphone. But then they tried an ATA and an IP phone both on the same network behind a NAT router, usually both can call out, but only one seems to ring in. It's hard to do port forwarding or DMZ when you're dealing with 2 private IP addresses. Do you have any experience with this. Me personally, I have an ATA, IP Phone, Smartphone APP and softphone all on the same voip number/account. But they aren't all on the same Public IP address behind a NAT router.

Thanks. Mike.

P.S. Disregard as of today. I was able to figure out the required configuration with my Grandstream GXP2130. In the immortal words of "Kip" (Napoleon Dynamite's Cousin)...... "I Love Technology".
    Last edited by christcorp; 03-19-2016 at 02:26 PM.
    Mike