Thread: Home networking issue - is it caused by VOIPO?

Default Home networking issue - is it caused by VOIPO?

I have a 1 year old desktop (win7), hardwired to my FIOS router, with the VOIPO router also wired into the FIOS router. I just purchased a new laptop (win 8 ), but it can't see the "homegroup". After some research (I'm a complete novice with this stuff) I *think* the issue may be that my desktop IP address is coming back 192.168.2.100 and my laptop IP address is showing 192.168.1.10. I think I read that the 3rd string of numbers needs to be the same. Since one computer has a 1 and the other has a 2, is this what is keeping them from seeing each other, and is the VOIPO software or router making this happen? When I looked into it, neither computer has a static IP address. So I'm thinking that maybe something with the VOIPO SW or HW is causing the 2 in the 3rd string. I tried setting a static IP to 192.168.2.3 on the new laptop, but that created a response that the dchp is not set up for wi-fi, and then I couldn't get to the internet anymore. I have no idea what that means or how to get around it. So for now, I turned it back to auto IP address.

The only reason I'm thinking it's a VOIPO issue is that I recall reading a lot of stuff on these forums about having to set ports and addresses etc. but it's all over my head, so I could be mistaken. And if I am, and VOIPO has nothing to do with my issue, I'd be thrilled if someone might be able to shed some light on why these two new computers can't see each other (most of the people here seem extremely tech savvy). I've gone through everything I can find for help and instructions on this (the whole network disovery, etc., etc). It's just a basic Homegroup in Windows. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Home networking issue - is it caused by VOIPO?

Your LAN traffic between clients does not pass through the router in any way.

Windows 7 can be hard to network and my guess is that 8 didn't get any easier. Make sure your connections on both machines are both "Home".
    I Void Warranties.

VoiPo is simply a voice services provider. It has no bearing on your network at all, its no different than adding an Xbox or some other device to your network.

I would begin with Googling how to set up a home network with Windows 8.

This is why the "PLUG AND PRAY" networking that most of the "Consumer Grade" hardware and software vendors offer, have problems. They want the average person to be able to plug in and go. This way they can sell more. Same with new cars that tell you when the tire pressure is low or that it needs an oil change.

Spend 30 minutes learning how advance beyond plug and pray, and learn how to give your devices static IP addresses. Understand the very basics of networking. Do this, and you won't have networking problems. People don't understand that just because 5 different pieces of hardware are all compatible with a particular router; or that 10 different pieces of software are all Windows compatible;..... DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE COMPATIBLE WITH EACH OTHER!!!
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

It is true most problems can be easily overcome. But you will certainly need some basic knowledge to work these out.

Quote Originally Posted by redoneusa View Post
    VoiPo is simply a voice services provider. It has no bearing on your network at all, its no different than adding an Xbox or some other device to your network.

I would begin with Googling how to set up a home network with Windows 8.
    it is correct! VoiPo is merely a provider so I think it is not causing the problem. Maybe you should have a basic understanding or knowledge about these stuffs, or you know someone a friend manybe who can fix your problems.