Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cancellation = Replacement fee??

Default Cancellation = Replacement fee??

I have been with Voipo for over 3 years. Last week, my adapter (model HT502) stopped working. I have no dial tone and cannot make/receive calls. I was issued a ticket two days ago. After not getting a response yesterday, I called support. The representative determined my box was no longer working and told me I had to pay a replacement fee. I told him no way I was paying a replacement fee and demanded my service be cancelled. The rep then explained that even if I cancelled I would still have to pay a replacement fee. I was livid. The rep then went to get a supervisor. I waited over 10 minutes and never spoke with a supervisor. The rep told me that his supervisor said he was very busy and that he would respond directly to my ticket. Again, two days later, no response. I have never heard of a company asking for a replacement fee although a customer is cancelling. I have also never heard of a supervisor being too busy to talk and never responding. Anyone mind shedding some light on this?

Default Re: Cancellation = Replacement fee??

Quote Originally Posted by melvytx View Post
    I have been with Voipo for over 3 years. Last week, my adapter (model HT502) stopped working. I have no dial tone and cannot make/receive calls. I was issued a ticket two days ago. After not getting a response yesterday, I called support. The representative determined my box was no longer working and told me I had to pay a replacement fee. I told him no way I was paying a replacement fee and demanded my service be cancelled. The rep then explained that even if I cancelled I would still have to pay a replacement fee. I was livid. The rep then went to get a supervisor. I waited over 10 minutes and never spoke with a supervisor. The rep told me that his supervisor said he was very busy and that he would respond directly to my ticket. Again, two days later, no response. I have never heard of a company asking for a replacement fee although a customer is cancelling. I have also never heard or a supervisor being too busy to talk and never responding. Anyone mind shedding some light on this?
    Are you you talking about shipping charge or replacement charge itself? In the past the companies I have been with never charged for an adapter even if they quit working. But most companies charge nominal shipping fee. Even if you cancel you need to send it back to them and you pay shipping charge, which is normal and fair. But if the company asking for real "replacement charge" in either case is not a good idea and I believe they don't know how to retain a customer based on a silly matter. I believe you should hear from them soon.

I believe the charge would be if the adapter was not returned after cancelling service. That is in the terms, that you must return your adapter in order to cancel service.
    City Wide Phone
    where the talk is cheap!

Thumbs down Re: Cancellation = Replacement fee??

Thanks for the replies! It was definitely a replacement fee versus shipping charges. After I told the rep to cancel my service and send a box so I could return the adapter, he explained to me Voipo would not accept a nonworking adapter. It was at this point I asked for the supervisor that was too busy to speak. Today marks day 3 with no response/email.

Post Re: Cancellation = Replacement fee??

Quote Originally Posted by melvytx View Post
    Thanks for the replies! It was definitely a replacement fee versus shipping charges. After I told the rep to cancel my service and send a box so I could return the adapter, he explained to me Voipo would not accept a nonworking adapter. It was at this point I asked for the supervisor that was too busy to speak. Today marks day 3 with no response/email.
    Wow, that is not right if your side of the story is true. Typical life span of a voip adapter is 3-5 years. If you are luck it may last longer. If this was a VOIPO issued adapter and it stopped working VOIPO should replace the adapter as a general business practice. If the adapter is burnt out after 3 years and if the company is asking the customer to replace it at customer's cost that is ridiculous and unethical. You might be able to grab HT502 adapter for 30 some dollars from online. I truly believe some one from VOIPO will sort out the issue for you. I am a new customer for VOIPO and still waiting for my adapter in mail. So I am not sure about their customer service, but hope they will make sure the customer is happy (at least a long time customer like you).

Hello,

All devices are tested and working before they are sent out.

A device replacement fee is assessed when the device is lost or damaged at the fault of the subscriber.

We simply must protect ourselves from customer / device abuse - as believe it or not, we do have some customers that attempt to get a replacement device every other month, as a result of them damaging the device from having it plugged into house wiring.

Sure enough every time - the weather report in their area always has some kind of lightning / T-STORMS .

We have not charged for device replacements otherwise, when a device is simply end of life.

While I am not too sure on your particular case - and I'm more than willing to further look into it for you and get to the bottom of this if you could provide your Ticket ID.

Thanks!

A replacement cost is typical I think, I just completed a Phonepower account was told to return the adapter within 30 days or be charge $99 for the adapter and additional $10 if the power supply is not included in what I returned.

In addition, I covered the shipping. Such things are industry standard and as Brandon mentions are designed to prevent wide spread abuse.

Thank you Brandon for the detailed information. Glad to know you guys do not charge for a typical adapter replacement other than abuse or damage (customer fault) etc. which a standard industry practice.

@redoneusa, I came here from PhonePower as well I brought their adapter from fry's with a MIR. Now the adapter is mine to keep as the contract is over. But if they sent you one, yes you are suppose to send it back to them "with the power supply". Typical mailing cost with USPS priority mail is less than $6 and I guess no one should complain about that

Just out of curiosity, how much is the "replacement fee" for a dead ATA?

Thanks!

The reason I'm curious is that you can find brand new, unlocked HT-502's on Ebay with free shipping for $40. I'm assuming that Voipo would allow these to be provisioned (and locked to them), since they already use HT-502's?