Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems after new router

Default Problems after new router

Hi,
    I had to replace my Linksys router and now my phone no longer works. My set up is Cable Modem -> GS HT502 -> Belkin N600 router. The Internet connection is working fine, but I can't receive incoming calls and when I dial out I get a fast busy signal. I did some research on the problem and changed the "LAN DHCP Base IP" setting on the HT502 to 192.168.3.1 since the Belkin router's base IP address is 192.168.2.1. I tried power cycling everything per the installation instructions on Voipo's website, but it's been hours and I still can't make a phone call. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Default Re: Problems after new router

Hello,
    I had the same issue while installing the adaptor at a customers house. I even defaulted the router since the customer enabled all kinds of security features. I still was not able to get it to work. I even did port forwarding like tech support from voipo told me to do and it still did not work. I was on the phone with Belkin and they had no idea why their router was blocking the adaptor. They tried to blame the adaptor and said it must be bad. I pulled the router out and installed a netgear router. It has been working ever since. There must be a default setting that has a rule that is causing the problem and even if you find it the setting may leave you with out some kind of security or function you may or may not need. My suggestion is to return the router and get a netgear, or linksys router. I gave the belkin to a IT friend of mine and he is still trying to get it to work for future installs.

It shouldn't be your router if the ATA is in front of it like you say. The only pieces in play here should be your modem and ATA since your ATA is providing internet to your router from the LAN port. You can check that by unplugging the LAN connection on the ATA, you should lose internet to your downstream devices (router/computers). I would leave the router out of the mix until you get the ATA working. Make sure the cable coming out of the modem is plugged into the WAN port of the ATA (sounds like it is). Turn off the modem and ATA. Turn the modem back on, wait 1 minute (or so) and plug your ATA back in. I am assuming your old linksys router was hooked up the way your new one is (i.e ATA in front of it ).

Try your setup, cable modem to WAN on ATA, but do not connect the router. Plug in ATA, and try your phone. If it works, somehow the router is intereferring.
    City Wide Phone
    where the talk is cheap!

It would be appropriate to change your connection to Cable Modem->N600 Router->HT502 ATA

Restart your devices (power recycle), it should be working fine then.

I personally don't recommend that setup as there will be problems with router firewall and port forwarding affecting the voice data packets.
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobsLive View Post
    It would be appropriate to change your connection to Cable Modem->N600 Router->HT502 ATA

Restart your devices (power recycle), it should be working fine then.
    City Wide Phone
    where the talk is cheap!

While I am not specifically certain about N600 model router, all new generation routers have inbuilt firewall and recognition and automatic port forwarding enabled for VoIP devices. HT502 is one of the device recognized by routers. I have 3 VoIP ATAs running in Cable Modem->Router->Switch->ATAs and I never experienced any loss of quality with any of the ATAs. Each network setup can be different, I am an experienced person in Network setup and my opinions are based upon my experience only. So yes, other's experience can be different than mine. I guess OP should contact support and they might be able to determine which setup is better for VOIPo service.

Thanks to everybody for their help... Unfortunately, I've several different suggestions and nothing has worked so far. What puzzles me the most is that going to from the cable modem directly to the WAN port of the HT502 with the router disconnected still doesn't work. I guess I'm going to have to contact customer support and see what they say because I'm out of ideas.

When your ATA is connected, go into your control panel and click devices to see if your ATA is even registering to VoIPo
    City Wide Phone
    where the talk is cheap!

What is the make and model of your cable modem?
    I Void Warranties.