Thread: Does Anyone Have an Apple Airport Working Correctly with VOIPO?

Exclamation Does Anyone Have an Apple Airport Working Correctly with VOIPO?

I have an Apple Airport router which used to work perfectly with a Linksys PAP on Vonage. I then switched to VOIPO and have had nothing but problems. I currently have the Grand Stream behind the Apple with a static IP assigned to it but sometimes I only have one way conversations or it doesn't ring, etc. I have every port the router will let me open within the required range open but there are a handful that Apple apparently reserves for itself and won't let you open. Anyone else have VOIPO fully working with an Airport?? Tech support has been of little help. My wife is not happy with me switching to it...

Default Re: Does Anyone Have an Apple Airport Working Correctly with VOIPO?

I don't use the T/A so I might be off on this one, but isn't the T/A supposed to go in front of the router?

I can't even get it to work correctly outside my router. I can call out, but incoming calls ring and then have a fast busy when I answer. I'd prefer to have it inside my router though. Tech support is now saying they can setup an audio proxy for it. I'll see what happens...

I don't have grandstream but I do have linksys adapter and I had to call apple to get it to work properly. The voipo guys are more pc oriented. If I remember correctly it had to do with the ip address, apples does not use the 192 address, I had to find mine in the manual airport extreme settings. I wish I could remember exactly how we set it up, but I do know the applecare people were great. Good luck.

Yes, I have a Grandstream downstream of an Airport Extreme using a cable modem that works reasonably well (still have issues occasionally connecting on incoming calls). It took some fiddling to get it to work, if you are interested I can relook at how I configured my set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by f4casper View Post
    Yes, I have a Grandstream downstream of an Airport Extreme using a cable modem that works reasonably well (still have issues occasionally connecting on incoming calls). It took some fiddling to get it to work, if you are interested I can relook at how I configured my set-up.
    This is my setup also and it won't connect on incoming calls. I'd like to know how you configured yours to work. Thanks.

I just got this working. The key for me was to first hook the GS from its LAN port directly to my laptop so I could get into the web interface at the 102. IP address and then turn on the setting to allow configuration over the WAN port (this is off by default). Then, when plugged in downstream of the router, I use the WAN port on the GS. Then, in the Airport Utility (v. 5, not the newest v. 6) I was able to find the device in the DHCP clients list, get its MAC address, and reserve a static IP address on my local network. I had to follow the complete restart procedure in the order modem->router->GS, then everything seems to be working fine. I have not had to do any port forwarding.

Now that my issues with dropped incoming calls were resolved with a new ATA, I tried to go back to using my Airport router as the router (as opposed to the built-in SBG6580 router, which works fine with VOIPo but has longevity problems/stalling downloads after a period of uptime).

After switching to the Airport, I had issues with one-way calls. I could always hear callers but they couldn't always hear me. I had followed the prescribed port forwarding rules. I also tried putting the ATA in the DMZ. Same deal. It was very repeatable.

What solved it? Simply removing the port forward and DMZ! We determined that the Airport does SIP ALG and there is no way to disable it. My current working theory is that the forwarded ports confuses/bypasses the SIP ALG, so things actually work worse than if you had just let the router handle it. So far it's worked OK.