Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandstream Reliability Tip

Default Grandstream Reliability Tip

Here's a tip for any of you that want to improve speed on your Grandstreams and make things work a little better. Assign the adapter a static IP and static DNS settings on your network.

To do this, access the adapter IP in your browser and login using password 123. The settings in this section will NOT be overwritten by our provisioning system as they relate to your network only.

There have been some cases where users reported they could not register and it turned out the GS did not have an IP address on their network. We've found that this typically happens when the IPs are expiring often and the ATA is constantly pulling a new one.

Rebooting the modem, router, and ATA fixed this, but if you have it set to static it is a non-issue.

While this is not completely necessary, it does speed up booting and wiill improve reliability by eliminating the need to ever change the IP.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 09-28-2008 at 07:32 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Default Re: Grandstream Reliability Tip

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Here's a tip for any of you that want to improve speed on your Grandstreams and make things work a little better. Assign the adapter a static IP and static DNS settings on your network.

To do this, access the adapter IP in your browser and login using password 1234. The settings in this section will NOT be overwritten by our provisioning system as they relate to your network only.

There have been some cases where users reported they could not register and it turned out the GS did not have an IP address on their network. We've found that this typically happens when the IPs are expiring often and the ATA is constantly pulling a new one.

Rebooting the modem, router, and ATA fixed this, but if you have it set to static it is a non-issue.

While this is not completely necessary, it does speed up booting and wiill improve reliability by eliminating the need to ever change the IP.
    What do you think the best static DNS should...Public or??

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    What do you think the best static DNS should...Public or??
    Public should be fine.

We're going to be rolling out new internal DNS servers in the next few days and I'll post info on those. We recommend using them when they're available, but we don't rely so much on DNS updates for redundancy that it's absolutely needed.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

For me,
    I can't go static and use the real world IP from WOW Cable.
    Both GS are to a hub that goes to the Modem.
    Without NAT it might be more reliable?

Just my PCs are behind a router.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

1234 is not working for my adapter.

For a static DNS; I suggest using 1 from your ISP; it will be the fastest DNS being you have to hit your ISP before you go anywhere on the net. As a secondary, I recommend 4.2.2.1 That is a dns from Level 3. It is a public that will not change. Plus; being Level 3 takes care of most of VoipO's routing, it's probably a better DNS to use.

For IP address: USA; when you say both your GS are on a hub to your modem; are you saying that you are paying for multiple static IP's from your ISP? Or, is your modem the type like many that has a built in router? You said that your pc's are behing a router. i assume that the router is getting the "Public IP Address" from your modem; OR it too is getting a "Private IP Address" in the 192.168.x.x range. Unless you're paying for multiple Public IP addresses from your ISP; you can definitely give your GS and all your PC's a static Private IP address. Maybe I am misunderstanding your network setup. Later... Mike....
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    1234 is not working for my adapter.
    Should be 123. Sorry.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 09-28-2008 at 07:32 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Setting a static IP does not seem to work for me.

I log in as Tim mentions. Set IP address to a private IP in my network (NAT'd behind a FW), set subnet, default route and add two public DNS server addresses (my ISP DNS servers)

I update this info, select "Update". Message returned that values are saved, reboot to take affect. I reboot device remotely. Wait 30 secs and login again.

THe static IP is set (as I login with the new IP address in the browser), but the DNS entries are gone and all set to 0.0.0.0. I also notice I have lost dial tone and LED on GS is now flashing on / off with red color.

Log back in to GS. Reset to Dynamic (note, I have reserved an IP for the GS by MAC address), save configuration, reboot GS. Everything works after I do this (i.e. get dial tone, can make call, phone rings when I call a Virtual number I have assinged to the GS -- as I am waiting for my port to complete).

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

1bird2

Hmmm, sounds like a firmware bug of some sort. Setting a static IP should not have caused it to lose the other settings That said, for things like this (I have a GS behind my asterisk box, to service the house wiring), I always go for a 'static dhcp' like you (based on the MAC).

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post

I have my GS-502 ATA behind my router.

I just had some sort of glitch where it appeared the ATA had a valid IP address from my router and it showed up in the Vpanel. But the ATA kept resetting itself over and over again about every 10-15 seconds. That caused me to have no phone service basically.

After rebooting everything, no change.

I put the ATA in front of the router, no change.

I put the ATA back behind the router, and all was well again. It stopped rebooting itself.

Now that it is working again, I hesitate to fuss with it. But I can't explain what made it go south all of a sudden late Saturday night and all day Sunday. To my knowledge it's the first time this has happened in the 3 weeks I've had the 502.

If I just make the changes in the ATA, is that all I need to do? Or do I also need to make changes in my router to affect this?