Thread: Don't hear ringing of called phone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Don't hear ringing of called phone

I keep being told it is my firewall settings that is causing the problems I am experiencing. So, I opened up my router/modem, went to the firewall settings and printed a screen shot of the information of how my router is set up and sent it to the Voipo techs. They said that my settings are correct. By process of elimination, that only leaves the problem on Voipo’s side, and they, the techs, suggested the same thing. They keep tweaking the adapter on their end, I hope they get it figured out at some point. Sometimes I can hear the dialed numbers ring, and sometimes I can’t, it seems to come and go. Maybe an exorcism is in order, to get rid of any lingering poltergeists in their system.

Do you have a static IP addressed to the voip adapter. If you do; as an experiment, you can go into the router and turn ON the "DMZ" and point it to the static IP address of the voip adapter. This basically opens ALL PORTS and forwards them to the voip adapter. if this works, then you know it's a ports issue.

As for the firewall, you should turn OFF in the router: SPI. That is a firewall in the router. Also, there is a section called ALG. It lists programs like SIP. Turn off the ALG. If you really want a firewall for your computers you can install a software firewall like Zonealarm or Blackice on your computers and protect them locally. But SPI and ALG on in the router can definitely cause issues with voip. good luck.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

When I call a person, I can not hear the phone ringing, but, when I ask the person that I just called if their phone was indeed ringing, they say yes, it was, I just can not hear it ring. To weird for me. I would think it is on Voipo's end, not mine.

As far as the firewall goes, Voipo said that I am good to go. They took control of my computer, and set it up as I watched, so I would assume that the problem is on Voipo's side.

No problem. Just mentioning that SPI is a firewall setting on a router that can affect inbound traffic if it was on. Also, that SIP under the ALG area was meant for software SIP like skype and such, and can block communications with a hardware device like a voip adapter that wants SIP. Just something to look at. Not saying that is the answer, just that many have had issues with voip and those 2 settings.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!