Ok, I'm not that smart about networking but I know a tiny tiny amount. I know basic stuff like what LAN (Local Area Network) and WAN (Wide Area Network) and what the basic differences are.

Here's my question. I have been trying to get this to work for a while now and today, I did something I KNEW shouldn't work and I was wrong.

Here's my setup.

I have a direct wireless connection to the net. I get 4 megs up and 7 to 8 down all within 10 ms ping.

I have a Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall FVS318 (does not have QoS much to my dismay)

I have a 24 port DELL switch.

I also have a Nitsuko 28i Phone system (equivalent to an NEC of the same model)

On the netwrok I have a windows 2003 server and half a dozen or so other coms (a mix of XP and win 7) tied to an active directory within the WS2003.

Then I have this seemingly b__tard Gremlinvoip (GrandStream)

I tried everything I could find and could not make a phone call. Kept getting busy signal, incoming or outgoing. I tried placing it before the router, after the router, in the bathroom, out in the rain, no difference. I cannot see it on the router.

Modem/GM(WAN/LAN)/Router/Switch
Modem/Router/GM(LAN)/Switch
Modem/Router/Switch/GM(LAN)

Rebooted all devices in every order I could think of and no result. I did notice that having this thing plugged in behind my router was causing me all kinds of assigned IP problems on my network. Could not define it and the only way to get everything back online was to remove the GM completely.

Then today, I plugged the cable into the GM(WAN) port, then into the switch and the damned thing started working. The router sees it, I can even assign a specific IP. I still cannot log into the unit though.

Can someone please explain?